My Word of the Year for 2017
2016 worked bonkers hard to get noticed, y'all. It didn't want to be just any old year, and we get some doozies on both ends.
- Prince, David Bowie, and Alan Rickman died.
- Harriet Tubman was chosen to replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill.
- Human rights continue to be violated all over the world... and also fought hard for by beautiful souls.
- The Ice Bucket Challenge actually raised enough money to pinpoint the cause of ALS.
- Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.
I have emotional whiplash, and it's not just because 2016 brought me a surprise third baby.
The transition between years has always been a thing - the looking back, the looking forward, the looking within to become a better person. Many people even choose a word of the year to proactively package what's coming. I've never chosen such a word because I'm lazy and a contrarian, but 2017 feels like a good time to start.
My word of 2017 is extra.
- Extra grace for people who believe differently than I do.
- Extra naps even when the sink is full of dishes.
- Extra creamy coffee just because I like it.
- Extra money to give where it matters.
- Extra(ordinary) patience with my kids.
- Extra time in the ignored parts of my community.
- Extra books on my Kindle.
- Extra food on my table and extra people around it.
Since 2016 felt stretched thin, I'm excited to move into 2017 with an abundance of spirit, love, and naps amen. And I'm starting today; this will be my last post of 2016 as I give my extra to my sweet people for the rest of this holiday break. I'm stoked to be with them... and take extra naps. Never forget the naps.
Thank you for making this past year such a personal delight; it's been a privilege to share this space with you.
See you in 2017, y'all.